Referral = http://myfuture.com/careers/articles-advice/creating-your-cover-letter#sample-letter
1) John D. Smith, Hunan Resource Director
2) The first paragraph is restating the referral and telling why he is interested in the position.
The second paragraph is introducing his past experiences in the past few years. The third paragraph is expressing his love for the product itself and the company he is applying to. The last paragraph states his contact information and says he will be calling in the next week.
3) Mr. Higgins major accomplishments are received a prize in the school science fair, worked weekends as a telephone call representative for two years, and managed a small online bookstore with over $600 in sales for the month.
4) I feel he makes his argument emotional because he mentions how the referral is a mutual friend and also talk about how much he love the business and its product halfway though like it’s going to buy him brownie points for liking the company.
5) He addresses the audience four times within the letter. This would make it seem as though they might have met once before.
6) I would have picked better this to write down as my accomplishments and out more information about the position that I’m applying for rather than talk up the company for brownie points.
Responds to a specific ad = http://www.quintcareers.com/sample_ad_letter.html
1) Judy Sumner, Atlanta Board of Education
2) The first paragraph states where they found the ad and the reason they think they are suitable for this position. The second paragraph gives a name of a specific reference and says that Mrs. Sumner has had the same responsibilities in the past. The Third paragraph gives details about her resume and mentions that she has a master degree in that field. The last paragraph says that she will be calling in a few days and also list her contact information.
3) Mrs. Smith’s major accomplishments are planning, administration, and student-parent counseling. Also in the same paragraph she talks about her master’s degree and teaching certificate received in Georgia.
4) I feel she makes her argument with logic because as she states in the first paragraph, she is the multi-talented teacher they are looking for in their multi-talented teacher advertisement. She uses specific words from the advertisement and gives reasons why she is what they need.
5) Mrs. Smith addresses the audience only three times, and mentions that she has a reference from a friend. So I would assume she has never met Mrs. Sumner before.
6) I think the first paragraph of this letter is horrible; the way she tried to start it off just makes her look dumb. I would have come up with another entry paragraph and gave a little more detail on her qualifications for the job.
Unsolicited = http://www.careercenter.sjsu.edu/students/launch/Resume_covLet/sample_docs/UnsolicitedCoverLetter.pdf
1) Jonathon Arvidson, Head of the Reference Department.
2) The first paragraph gives a little background information on the student and explains why they want the position. The second paragraph gives her experiences and previous places of employment. The last small paragraph thanks them for their time and gives her contact information along with saying she will call in a few days.
3) The major accomplishments Melissa chose to highlight were teaching library instruction workshops, a peer advisor at the career center, and that she is a good people person with great customer service skills.
4) This cover letter uses credibility to make their main appeal because she only talks about the things she has done or experienced that would make her a great candidate for the job.
5) Ms. Taylor addresses her audience sparingly throughout the cover letter showing that she does not know the employer personally but is interested in the job.
6) I would have improved this letter by not putting “GO BULLDOGS” at the end other than that I feel this is not that bad of a cover letter for a student trying to get a librarian job.